Saturday, June 23, 2007

7. Great Northern

A couple more pieces fall into place. Nothing is final until it happens, but a couple of straw-man routes have been mapped out. I will be gone from Tucson for 5 weeks. I will have a companion for all my travels; for the first four weeks it will be Jake, for the last week, Nina.

I had three possible outbound routes and three possible return routes; with plenty of variations of course. Return routes are still up in the air, but headed out, Jake and I are looking at a route I am calling the Great Northern. Plenty of this territory will be new to me, and most of the rest might as well be; I know from family photos I've been that way before, but I have little in the way of memories.

And even the places that I do remember might as well be new. When I was last in Glacier National Park, it had glaciers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Having read your whole blog so far, I am suddenly struck with the biggest way in which you and I are different, and oh what a difference it is. You're always looking for somewhere to go, and I'm always looking for somewhere to stay.

I would love nothing more than to spend five, maybe even ten years never leaving an area maybe ten miles square. So many people spend so much of their time trying to get from one place to another, but personally I'd just like to find a place and stick to it, however unexciting and old-fashioned that may seem.

This world is full of all kinds of people. Some people visit every country in the world, others are born and die in the same house, never going farther than the grocery store down the street. I find myself wanting to be closer to the latter end of that spectrum.

It often annoyed me as a kid that every chance we'd get, we'd leave. The first opportunity to be somewere else, and we'd take it. Road trips, flights, visits, camping trips, adventures that were all exciting, but all soured just a little by the feeling that they were all just attempts to escape from whatever place you guys felt trapped in, but that I considered a cozy nest. It seemed like we weren't going for our destination, we were going just to go, and that always bothered me.

But this is where we differ. You LOVE to go just to go; this makes sense to you. Your home, to a certain extend, will never be Point A or Point B, but will always be the route in between. A more cynical person would say you have a bad case of "the grass is always greener", but my diagnosis is more like Wanderlust. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's who you are. It's just not me. It's not who I am. I want somewhere to stay.